Monday, July 28, 2008

Patience is a Virtue


I just finished a low fire glaze firing early this afternoon and I am so anxious and excited to see my wares completed.  However, I have to wait until tomorrow morning before cracking the kiln.  

Many folks don't realize just how many steps are involved with pottery and ceramics.  I've always wondered just how many steps there are in making a pot, so here goes.

1- Purchase or recycle clay
2- Soften clay for throwing
3- Wedge clay for throwing
4- Throw pot on the wheel
5- Remove pot from wheel and allow to air dry
6- Trim foot of pot
7- Add handles or stamp impressions etc.
8- Allow pot to dry completely
9- Clean up rough edging marks or bumps
10- Load kiln for bisque firing
11- Bisque fire kiln for 6-8 hours
12- Unload kiln and rinse pots
13- Put wax resist on pots
14- Prepare glazes and glaze pots by dipping or brushing 3 coats
15- Load kiln again for glaze firing
16- Fire kiln for 6+ hours
17- Patiently wait to unload kiln

Okay, there are approximately 17 steps in the basic creation of a pot.  I did not include the methods of recycling clay, cleaning the wheel and equipment, the making of glazes, or the cleaning of the kiln and shelves.  Then there are the additional steps of selling your wares either in shows or online, taking photos, writing listings, figuring out expenses and shipping costs etc.  

I suppose that with anything we do in life there are many steps involved. One of the many aspects of ceramics that I truly appreciate is how it encompasses earth, water, air, fire and metals. If I am not mistaken it is the only craft that encompasses all of those elements.

I'm afraid I patiently have to wait out the night before opening the kiln.  It's my hope that these wares will be 95% successful and then I can take photographs and start my listings on Etsy.

No comments: